Tuesday, September 7, 2010

And she's here!!!!!!

Well after a horrific 45 minutes of labor, baby Berlyn finally arrived! By 45 minutes of labor, I mean 45 minutes from when it hurt (GET ME AN EPIDURAL NOW!!!) to Berlyn being born. We arrived at the hospital around 7:30 am. The doctor inserted some gel to try and get my uterus to contract and my cervix to dilate. It started working right away, but then stopped a couple hours later. So around 11am the doctor broke my water. More little contractions, but they didn't really build until after 1pm. By 1:30 I asked to be checked so I could get an epidural. I was only dilated to a 3.5 and only 80% effaced (that's labor talk for you still have a LONG way to go!) They agreed to give me an epidural, but the anesthesiologist was in surgery for another 45 minutes! It turned out that it wouldn't have made a difference if I could have gotten an epidural right away anyway - because I was fully dilated and ready to push by 2:10. I have to admit I totally lost it with this labor. I embarrassed myself by yelling rude things and even a couple profanities. I had at least one panic attack and almost passed out a few times because I wasn't breathing the way they tell you to in those Lamaze classes. It wasn't pretty, but it was effective and Berlyn was born by 2:27 weighing 7 lbs 4 oz and measuring 20 inches long.


She has been with us for just barely over a week, but it feels like she has always been here. I already can't imagine life without her. The boys love her - sometimes too much. I don't think I will ever be able to leave them alone. My days of showering are officially over!

3 comments:

Waldron's Est. 2005 said...

I thouhgt I would never say this but You and I did it without an EPIDURAL!!!! Good for us :) Never again...to much pain and I think you would say the same :) I was right along with you on saying and doing things that I could have done without. You and I are so a like when it comes to giving birth. FAST!!! Great work LaShauna you and Scott make cute kids. You know what I was thinking you have two boys and a girl and I have the same :) Maybe thats why we are BFF Love you she is beautiful

Jenn Mobbs said...

I had no idea you were so close to delivery. Way to go! I had Alex with no epideral and it hurt but it wasn't as bad as what you are describing. She is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations and good luck with the boys!

Sconierson said...

So that is what you have been up too. I have been such a slacker and haven't emailed you back. I love the quilt it is very cute, and I think that she looks like Moses. That was my first thought. Glad that you are doing so great and you guys really should stop moving so much. Tell Scott that we say Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!